Injured in a Pedestrian Accident?
In 2016 in Philadelphia 53% of all traffic or road deaths were pedestrians and bicyclist. This alarming percentage of pedestrian deaths in Philadelphia is much higher than the national average.
One of Philadelphia’s Top Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian accidents, especially involving a motor vehicle, can result in serious injuries and therefore costly medical bills, lost wages, and emotional damage. Many pedestrian accidents can even result in death, causing immense emotional grief for families and friends. Seeking compensation for your damages can be a complicated process, so make sure you choose a Philadelphia pedestrian accident lawyer who has the expertise necessary to ensure that you are fully reimbursed and relieved of any financial burdens.
What to Do If You’ve Been in a Pedestrian Accident in Philadelphia
If you are struck by a vehicle while walking in Philadelphia, here’s what you should do:
- Contact the police. Even if you believe that you may be partially at fault for the accident, you should still call the police to the scene of the accident. Once they arrive and process the scene, be sure to ask for the officer’s name, badge number and a copy of the police report.
- Document the following information:
- The location of the accident
- The date and time of the accident
- The driver’s information including name, birthdate, driver’s license number, and insurance information (photos of driver’s license and insurance card will do)
- The vehicle’s information (if the accident involved a car), including make, model, color, and VIN number
- If you were hit by a commercial vehicle, you should document the company for which that driver works as multiple parties may be liable for your injuries.
- Recall precisely what happened to the best of your ability – your location, the location of the car, where it struck you, where your injuries are located – so that you can relay the details to your Philadelphia pedestrian accident lawyer.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident including:
- Damages to the vehicle that struck you, and any company information displayed if it is a commercial vehicle
- The location of the accident
- Weather conditions
- Speak with any witnesses to the accident and ask for contact information for any witnesses willing to provide a statement.
- See a doctor as soon as possible after the accident (even if you have only sustained minor injuries) both to ensure that you have not sustained any internal damage and so that he or she can provide witness to the severity of your injuries.
The Leading Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
It may just be impossible to list all the contexts in which a pedestrian can be struck by a car or other kind of motor vehicle. If cars and pedestrians are traveling on the same roadway, there is always a chance for a tragic accident. Crosswalks, parking lots, residential roads, and urban streets are all common settings for an auto accident involving a pedestrian — and unfortunately, these accidents happen all too often. The most common cause of pedestrian accidents typically involve drivers who are:
- Driving under the influence
- Driving distracted, typically involving cellphone usage
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Refusing to yield right-of-way for crosswalks or parking lots
- Failing to use turn signals
- Driving too close to the side of the road or the curb
Most pedestrian accidents are avoidable. If you or your loved one is injured in a type of pedestrian accident then you may contact a pedestrian accident lawyer to receive compensation for your injuries.
How is a Pedestrian Hit by a Car Compensated for Their Injuries?
When it comes to compensations for injuries from pedestrian accidents, insurance coverages can be complex. When a pedestrian is struck by a vehicle, they are automatically considered full tort, even if they typically have limited tort insurance. Full tort coverage means that the pedestrian is entitled to compensation for pain and suffering. However, if the driver of the vehicle that hit you does not have car insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your injuries, obtaining an adequate amount of compensation for your injuries may be difficult. For this reason, it’s essential to have a dedicated pedestrian accident attorney in your corner to enforce your rights and help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Read here – Steps Pedestrians Can Take to Prevent Accidents
Timeline of a Pedestrian Accident Case
When someone is injured in a pedestrian accident and decides to file a personal injury claim they usually have questions about the process. As medical expenses grow, the injured person often learns to deal with pain and requests time off work. This can be difficult when the length of the claim process is unknown. We take the fear out of filing a personal injury claim and educate our clients on the process. Our clients have the ability to consult with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer like Stuart Carpey. He works with injured clients and their families to educate them about the claim process and works to make it go smoothly.
Note: Not every step will be applicable in every case
Carpey Law Helps to Make Roads Safer for Pennsylvania Pedestrians
Carpey Law is a proud supporter of the non-profit organization Sidewalks Are For Everyone (SAFE) whose mission is to have sidewalks installed in high-traffic areas to help improve pedestrian safety.
SAFE Wins Fight to Make Pedestrian Travel Safer
On February 18, 2016, after four years of attending meetings, collecting thousands of signatures, and hosting fundraisers, Sidewalks Are For Everyone (SAFE) and founder Sharon Rearick’s efforts have finally paid off.
It was a fight that was thought to be unwinnable. That’s what everyone said, at least, including board members of multiple townships and even community members who had watched others try and fail to accomplish the same goal. But in 2012 after 23-year-old John Rearick was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident walking along New Falls Road in Levittown, a mother’s mission was realized and there was no stopping her.
This incredible story was picked up by multiple news sources, including 6abc Action News, Fox 29 News, LevittownNow.com, Philly Voice, and the Bucks County Courier Times, helping to raise awareness and gain support.
SAFE and Carpey Law would like to thank the thousands of supporters who signed the petition, came to township meetings and fundraising events to show support and helped to make this happen.
The real credit, however, for this amazing accomplishment goes to the Rearick family for their unrelenting devotion to this cause which stemmed from their personal tragedy.
Actual construction of the sidewalks along New Falls Road is set to begin in 2017.
“If it saves one life, it was all worth it.”
-Sharon Rearick, Founder of SAFE
Find out more about SAFE and its success!
To read more about this story:
Request Free Books Written by Attorney Stuart A. Carpey
Contact a Dedicated Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today!
Our reputation for success and unmatched attention to the needs of our clients has made Stuart Carpey one of the most trusted Pedestrian Accident lawyers in the greater Philadelphia area and Plymouth Meeting. If you’re in need of a Personal Injury lawyer, we recommend that you pursue your claim as soon after your incident as possible. Contact Stuart Carpey today for a complimentary consultation in which he will examine your case in detail and advise you on how to proceed and ultimately recover the compensation you deserve!