Together with the Carpey Law team, Stuart Carpey is pleased to announce that he will once again be offering a scholarship to a deserving college student. The scholarship will be awarded to an undergraduate who is enrolled in a college or university in the United States, and who demonstrates a critical mind and attention to detail in the essay described below.
The scholarship is worth $500.
To be eligible for entry in the scholarship competition, you must be:
- An incoming or current student attending school in the US
- Motorcycle helmet laws vary by state. Discuss the laws surrounding motorcycle helmets in your state of residence and some of the main arguments for and against motorcycle helmet use.
- Your essay does not need to be “persuasive,” i.e. you do not need to argue for one side or the other. Instead, you should aim to demonstrate an understanding of both sides of the issue and make compelling points to support each side.
- You are not required to be a Pennsylvania resident in order to enter the scholarship contest, but since Carpey Law is located in Pennsylvania, an ideal essay will utilize Pennsylvania’s laws in some way (as a comparison point to your own state’s laws, for example).
- Your essay should be between 1,000 and 1,500 words
- Each entrant must prove enrollment in a college or university located in the United States
- The deadline for submission is Friday, June 12, 2015.
- Submit your essays to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your full name and contact information in the email containing your essay submission.
- It is possible that finalist essay entries will be shown on the Carpey Law blog after a winner has been chosen. By sending us your essay, you give us permission to use it in our materials.
- We will verify that your essay has not been plagiarized.
- The winner of the Carpey Law Scholarship will be announced on Monday, June 22, 2015.
The following resources on our site about motorcycle laws may help you with your essay.
- A Guide to Motorcycle Accidents in Pennsylvania, by Stuart Carpey. Request a free copy of this informational book entitled “The Good, The Bad, and The Law.”
- Articles about Motorcycle Accident Laws in Pennsylvania, written by the Carpey Law team.
Last Year’s Scholarship Finalists
The winner of last year’s scholarship, Samantha Braudrick, is from Roswell, Georgia and is attends Saint Mary’s College of California. You can read her winning essay here.
We received a number of quality essays last year, and while we could only choose one winner, we did feature some of the other essays on our blog. You can read some of those essays by clicking the links below.