I’ve been involved in an accident. I’m hurt. I’ve got medical bills. I need more medical care. I don’t know which kind of doctor to see for my injuries. I can’t work. Do I need a lawyer? Where do I begin searching for a personal injury lawyer?
Making the decision on whether to hire a personal injury lawyer and which personal injury lawyer to hire, can be stressful. There are so many things to consider after an accident if you’ve been hurt due to someone else’s negligence. The countless tasks involved are time-consuming, and the challenges, emotions and legal issues that accompany the unfamiliar process of what to do following an accident only serve to compound the stress necessary to recover from personal injuries. In a car accident case, for instance, just getting your car repaired and having the insurance company pay for that and reimburse you for a rental car can take many hours on the phone.
While there is not a single person or organization that can assist with everything, the right lawyer can help. Getting the best advice possible to start the process can make all the difference. All consumers have access to information on the internet, as well as other information and sources that can be used to narrow the search in hiring a personal injury lawyer. But, there is a systematic way by which you can start getting answers to your questions.
Factors to consider when hiring a PA personal injury lawyer
- Ask an attorney you already know for a referral. He or she may have inside knowledge on who is experienced in handling personal injury cases.
- Ask a friend or family member for a referral to an attorney that they have been pleased with.
- The internet can be a good place to start. Of course, not all lawyers or law firms use the internet as a source of marketing. That does not mean they are not competent. It only means that they do not see the value in internet marketing, and may get their clients from other sources. Most of our clients here at Carpey Law come from referrals from other attorneys or from other clients. But the internet is a source to find a list of attorneys and their specialties. Just remember to be careful about advertising claims, and about attorneys who claim to be “specialists” in all sorts of areas of the law. In addition, you may not want an attorney who handles as many cases as possible, and may not have the time to pay special attention to your case, or that your case will be handled by inexperienced and unsupervised employees. In checking out attorneys on the internet, be sure to look at their online reviews and testimonials on Google, Avvo, and other review sites.
- Most local bar associations offer a lawyer referral service that lists lawyers who have signed up and paid a fee. This also may be a good place to start. But always talk to more than one lawyer, before you make a final decision.
- Steer clear of any attorney who pushes you to sign up. You want to take your time to make sure you make the right decision, and any attorney worth working with will respect that.
- If someone recommends an attorney, and you permit them to have the attorney call you, great. But run from any attorney who calls you first without your prior approval.
- Beware of any attorney who contacts you in writing just after you are injured for the sole purpose of soliciting your claim.
- Experience – obviously, the longer an attorney has been practicing a particular area of the law, the more he or she will know about it, and more he or she will understand how to get the most out of your case.
- Experience actually litigating cases is a must.
- Experience actually trying cases is a must.
- Respect in the legal community – does the attorney teach other lawyers in Continuing Legal Education courses, or has the attorney you intend on hiring written about his or her legal specialty for others?
Questions to Ask Your Prospective Personal Injury Lawyer
- Can he/she provide you with a sample fee agreement and explain how it works?
- Can he/she provide a written explanation of the steps involved in a personal injury case?
- Can he/she provide you with a professional biography that outlines how the lawyer and the other lawyers at the firm have been handling personal injury matters?
- What professional affiliations do they have?
Do you Always Need a Lawyer for a Personal Injury Case?
More Questions? Feel Free to Contact Us
Rest assured, you will receive straightforward and timely answers to any of your questions if you contact Carpey Law. This is true from the beginning at the initial consultation, and throughout the entire process of the personal injury case. Stuart Carpey has over 30 years of the experience and expertise in litigating, trying and settling personal injury cases throughout Pennsylvania.